Partner Visa

There are two types of Partner Visas based on the location of applying

  • For onshore applicants: Temporary Partner visa (subclass 820) and Permanent Partner visa (subclass 801)
  • For offshore applicants: Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309) and Permanent Partner visa (subclass 100)

The Partner visas permit the spouse or de-facto partner of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen to live in Australia. At the time of application, the applicant must be in Australia to apply for subclass 820 and 801. Likewise, applicants must be outside of Australia at the time of application lodgement for subclass 309.

The temporary partner visa (subclass 820 or 309) is granted first and lets you stay in Australia while the permanent partner visa (subclass 801 or 100) is processed.

Getting the permanent Partner visa is a two-stage process. To be qualified for a permanent partner visa you first need to be granted a provisional partner visa. You have to apply for both the permanent and temporary visas at the same time and pay only one fee. If you are granted the temporary visa, you are eligible to be assessed for the permanent Partner visa (subclass 801) about two years after you lodged your application. You will need to provide further documents for this assessment.

Visa Application Process


The requirements discussed above may not be the only prerequisites for processing your visa. Australian Immigration Services regularly change their visa rules. We know that applying for this visa can be an extremely difficult task for most people without proper assistance and guidelines. To make things easier, we have an excellent team of Migration Consultants who will discuss the entire visa process with you. Please make the best use of our one-on-one visa consultation. Please visit your nearest onshore office at Sydney.