The Step-by-Step Guide to Understand Australian Student Visa Extension as an International Student


Although there is no automatic extension of a student visa in Australia, there are various circumstances in which an existing student’s visa can be extended. While the visa application is not difficult, it must be followed to the letter. If you wish to extend your student visa in Australia, keep reading to find out what you need to do to stay in the country and continue your experience!

Why one might opt for a student visa extension in Australia?

  • You may need to extend your visa in one of four situations:
  • Extended research proposal
  • New academic program
  • Your post-graduate thesis has already been submitted; however, your visa will expire before the marking is completed.
  • For some reason, your course has been extended, and your visa will expire before you finish it.

If you’re not sure which category you’re in or need assistance processing your application, please contact us.

Requirements needed for visa extension

You must apply for a new student visa before your existing one expires if you want to prolong your stay on a student visa. If you do not submit your application on time, you risk being deported, which could have an impact on future visa applications. Once you’ve decided that extending your student visa is the best option, you’ll need to get the following things in order:

Enrollment Confirmation (CoE)

The formal document from the educational institution is the Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). The Certificate of Enrolment (CoE) contains information regarding the applicant’s enrollment status. The course duration, fees paid, and total fees owed are all included in this information. When applying for a student visa, this document is required. While studying in Australia, your CoE must be valid at all times, and cancellation may have an impact on your visa status.

Language Requirements in English

You’ll need proof of your English language abilities in the form of documents. This can be demonstrated by taking an IELTS or comparable test. You must submit your English language test results with your application.

Student Health Insurance for Overseas Students

All international students must have and maintain health insurance for the duration of their stay in Australia, according to the Australian government. You must keep your current Overseas Student Health Coverage (OSHC). OSHC does not renew itself and must be renewed to span the period of your new visa. The start and finish dates must correspond to the student visa. As a result, you must contact your healthcare provider and renew your coverage.

Examine your health

When applying for a student visa, you must undergo a medical examination. This shows that you are in excellent health to the Department of Home Affairs. You must submit documents with your application to show proof of the health checks. Your ImmiAccount will issue you a HAP number as well as a referral letter for a clinic that details all of the essential assessments.


Financial Prerequisites


The application must show that you have the financial means to meet your expenses, including course fees, travel, and living expenses. This is accomplished by submitting employment documents as well as proof of your annual income and assets. There will also be a request for proof of true access to the requisite funds.


Documents needed for visa extension


When it comes to personal documentation, you’ll need to submit the following information to prove your identity:

  • Certificate of Birth
  • Identity page of a passport (i.e. every page with visa sample & immigration stamp)
  • Card of National Identification
  • Every page of the household registration book, as well as
  • A curriculum vitae (certified by the local authorities)
  • Certificate of Marriage (for married students)
  • Number of the OSHC Policy
  • HAP Identification Number
  • Proof of financial capability
  • Codes for Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)

Process of student visa extension

Step 1: Register for the course


Obtaining a fresh Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from your educational institution is the first step in the application process. It’s critical to allow time for the educational department to process this and return it to you. Processing timeframes vary, but they normally range from 5 to 10 days. This process can also be influenced by how quickly you pay your fees, as they will not be processed unless you do so. You will receive an email confirming your enrolment after all of the prerequisites have been satisfied and the fees have been paid (CoE).


Step 2: Set up Overseas Student Health Insurance (OSHC

The next step in the procedure is to get your health insurance in order. Once you’ve confirmed that your health insurance is valid for the duration of your stay with the insurance provider, you can begin compiling all of the essential visa documents.


Step 3: Get your visa documents ready

It’s vital to keep in mind that the list of required visa documents varies depending on your place of origin and the education provider you choose. As a result, each applicant’s checklist is unique. The document checklist tool on the Department of Home Affairs website, however, can help. It’s crucial to remember that the checklist is subject to change, so it’s a good idea to check the website for updates frequently.


Step 4: Meet the criteria for a Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE)

All student visas must meet the Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) criterion. The GTE lets the Department of Home Affairs determine whether or not the applicant is serious about studying in Australia. You must include a personal statement as part of this procedure to demonstrate that you are sincerely interested. The personal statement should include information about your life and how the course will benefit you in the future. This gives the candidate a chance to talk about their situation in their native country and their potential future if their student visa is approved. You should provide as many documents as possible to back up all of your points.

Step 5: Apply for a student visa

Submitting a student visa application with your Immi Account is the final step in the application process. To proceed, you must attach all essential documents and pay a charge. You can also hire a migration consultant to assist you with your online application. If you submitted your student visa application while onshore, the Department of Home Affairs will mail you a letter of acceptance along with a Bridging Visa (BVA). Check your nominated email address for any correspondence regarding the status of your application frequently. This can aid in a smooth and quick application process.

Financial proof/fund for visa extension

Depending on your visa category and country assessment, you may be required to produce proof of financial capabilities to continue studying in Australia. There are a variety of options available, including:

Fund For Yearly Months

This choice is appropriate if you intend to study for a further year or more. Evidence of money sufficient to pay your stay, tuition fees, and living expenses in Australia for the duration of your stay, which is usually 12 months. It also includes a travel itinerary that includes a trip return to Australia (about $1000- $1200), living expenses in Australia (approximately AUD$20,000–AUD 21,000), and a one-year tuition price for whichever subject and length of study you select.

Annual Income Evidence

If you want to participate in a short or long course, evidence of annual income from your sponsor, parent, spouse, or personal income is necessary for an Australian Student visa. It is estimated that it will cost around AUD 60,000.

Waiver on student visa application by dept of home affairs

If you had a student visa on or after 1 February 2020 and couldn’t finish your course within the original visa validity due to COVID-19’s effects, we will waive the visa application fee to allow you to file a new student visa application. This applies to you if you:

  • you had to postpone your studies since you were unable to visit Australia due to travel restrictions.
  • were obliged to lower their academic burden to part-time
  • you weren’t able to finish your work-based training or placements


If your visa is denied, more information may be needed. In this case, they will send you an email asking for more information. If your visa is merely denied, you will have the option of hiring a migration lawyer to challenge the decision. It’s vital to emphasize that this only applies to applicants for onshore visas.

Related Posts